Tuesday, March 9, 2021

 

This is my Homage to David Rose and Schitt's Creek!
Products used will be listed at the bottom.

Processes:

First, I created the sign.  I had no idea where it might take me, but I was inspired by some advertisement on my Facebook feed.  I cut out the tiny, tiny letters in black vinyl stuck to 110lb card stock. I knew that I wanted to curve the Apothecary so I cut out a circle on some Post-It and laid it down on the Ranger Manila colored heavy card stock. I fumbled and fought to get the letters spaced and around the bottom of the circle using Ranger Multi-Media Matte. I then imagined that I would need a rose in the center, so I glue the Rose word straight and centered across the top. That took a good hour, the letters kept popping off my tweezers.

I knew I wanted it to look like a metal sign so I coated the whole thing in the texture paste and waited for it to dry.  I rubbed it into the letters with my fingers.  Once dry, I painted it with the Kitsch Flamingo and let that dry. Finally, I took the Vintage Photo Distress Crayon and began rubbing it on, taking it off, rubbing it on again until I was happy with the result. I used a Tombo eraser to sand some of the pain off of the letters.  I used a generic die to cut the sign shape. I glued on the rose ephemera and then tried to distress it and wound up rubbing the design off so I just glued another one on top of it! I cut some fun foam the same shape and glued it to the back of the sign then used some brads to make it look like it was mounted with, well, brads. I distressed the edges and then set it aside to work on the panel.

For the panel, I used the stamp and smudge technique with the various stamps and colors.  I die cut some heavy card stock and used it as a stencil and stenciled the crackle paste in the corner. I pulled off the paper and immediately coated the paste with the Kitsch Flamingo Distress Glaze and let it dry. I then heated the glaze until it melted and let it cool. I coated the whole corner then with the Distress Crayon in Walnut Stain. I used some Vintage Photo and Ground Espresso to distress the whole panel.

Next, I sprayed some Distress Mica Spray on the sign and smudged it around then glued the sign onto the panel.  I found a paper doll I thought might look like a pharmacist and trimmed off the body parts that would be hidden by the sign and then coated him with Distress Glaze in Rusty Hinge and glued him on.  I found an appropriate jumble of words and glued that on and distressed it with the vintage photo left on my brush.   

Tim Holtz/Ranger products used:

663089 Mixed Media Halloween #2
664177 Sizzix Thinlits Die Set 140PK - Alphanumeric Label
Ranger Distress Texture paste in smooth and crackle
Distress Collage Medium
Distress Paint in Kitsch Flamingo
Distress Glaze in Rusty Hinge and Kitsch Flamingo
Distress Crayons in Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain, Antique Bronze, and Black Soot
Mr Bones CMS345
Dearly Departed CMS413
Examination CMS412
Faded Type CMS397 
Distress Spray Stain in Rusty Hinge
Distress Mica Spray in Antique Bronze
Sticker from Clippings
Paper Doll
Ephemera (I think Field Notes)
Distress Ink in Black Soot and Vintage Photo
Distress Oxide in Rusty Hinge, Vintage Photo, and Ground Espresso




No comments:

Post a Comment