Wednesday, September 15, 2021


Getting going on a very busy holiday season. I have collected a huge list of people that will get handmade cards from me this year.

My hopes, that I get these done, addressed, and stamped ready to go by Thanksgiving! Wish me luck.

This is my take on a grungy candy stripe.

I started out by using a 6x4.5 piece of heavy watercolor paper that will be trimmed down later.  Normal watercolor paper starts out in a 12x9 format. I cut the pages into quarters for my projects. This leaves me some wiggle room to trim off runny edges!

With a half inch soft, flat brush I start out by painting the stripes on and using a rule to just kind of keep them straight with my Simon Hurley re-inker in the color of Game Over.  That and Over the Moon are my favorites of his. Once I have the stripes painted on I take a dropper full of water and drip down the center of the stripes by holding the paper in the angle of the stripe.  With the same brush and the runoff from the stripes I splatter a bit all over the card.  I dry the card a but and then give it a few spritzes of water from a distance to get the color to bleed a bit then fully dry it to prepare for the next step.

Once the panel is dry, fully dry, I manipulate the paper to straighten it out as best as possible.  I trim enough off of each side to make the panel 4 x 5.5.  Using a large blending brush I go over the entire page with Antique Linen Distress Oxide and do the same to the edges only with Vintage Photo Distress Oxide.  

Next, I use some good double-sided tape 1/8 inch wide and line it along each of the stripes on just one side. You can do both sides as well, I prefer this look.  I make sure to burnish down each tape before I remove the backing.  With the panel sticky side up I lay it on a piece of copy paper and pour the glitter all over the paper.  I tap off as much as I can then take the other half of the copy paper and burnish the glitter into the tape.  Note: you can also use toner foil on this step if you are allergic to glitter!

Here is the video I created with these steps and more!


Thanks for stopping by! By the way, I have started a Facebook Group called Not Afraid of Color and would love to see your makes inspired by my demonstrations!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment