Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Low Water Immersion Experiment



So I found some other dye locally that wasn't "Rit". I ignored the package directions and did it my way. here is what I did:



1. I pre-washed 2 yards of unbleached muslin and left it damp.


2. I scrunched it up and put it in a bucket.


3. I mixed about 1/4th of the package of Dylon Ocean Blue dye in about 3/4 cups warm water in a plastic bowl.


4. I poured the dye directly on top of the fabric about the same way you would do sauce on broccoli.


5. Next, I mixed the green Dylon the same way and poured it on in spaces that the blue didn't touch.


6. I took a paint stick and mushed it up some so the dye would penetrate and spread a bit.


7. I poured salt all over the top and let it sit for 45 minutes while I messed with my "Hillbilly" dress form.


8. I rinsed, dried, and pressed the muslin. By the way, muslin is a giant pain to iron!



Here is what I got




I learned that I needn't be so stingy with the dye. I intend to grab a darker shade of blue today and some purple and throw this baby in to see what I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment